Skip Ribbon Commands Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In

How to Apply


Requirements for Admissions

The Brown School has a rolling admission process. Complete your application now to be considered for admission and scholarship opportunities. The Brown School offers Fall (August) enrollment only.


Supporting Documents

  • Transcripts demonstrating successful completion of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, with a cumulative grade average of B or better.


  • Submission of a professional statement that discusses significant factors influencing your decision to pursue a Master in Social Work degree. Your essay should include information regarding career goals and leadership experiences that will contribute to your success as a graduate student and in the social work profession. Please include why the Brown School is a good fit for your educational goals. Essay should be two pages long, single spacing and 12-point font. 


  • Completion of an essay that analyzes a social problem of great concern to you. Include key factors contributing to the issue, plausible solution(s), possible steps for implementation and challenges likely to surface in seeking a solution. Essay should be two pages long, single spacing and 12-point font.


  • A comprehensive resume.


  • Three letters of recommendation from professional and/or academic colleagues.


  • A non-refundable application fee of $60, or $40 if you apply online.


Application review starts with a complete application. A complete application includes submission of application and supporting documents. Application and supportive documents can be sent separately. The application review process takes six to eight weeks after an application is completed. 

APPLICATION AND scholarships deadline

  • The Brown School has a rolling admission process. Apply now to be considered for admission and scholarship opportunities. We look forward to receiving your application soon. 

If you are an international student, transfer student, or Washington University undergraduate student, please read the sections below for more information.


International Students


We welcome applications from international students. The application process for international students is the same.

The MSW program requires competency in the English language. If English is not your native language, you must demonstrate proficiency by a score of 100 IBT or above on the Test of English as Foreign Language (TOEFL), administered by the Educational Testing Service or 70 or avobe on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).

Please visit our International Students Admissions section for additional information about costs and financial services available to international students.

Students with Advanced Standing


If you graduated with a BSW from a social work school accredited by the Council on Social Work Education within the past six years, you are automatically eligible and considered for advanced standing, allowing you to complete your MSW in 16 months.

Transfer Students


We welcome applications from students wishing to transfer to the Brown School.

We will grant up to 30 credit hours for previous graduate level social work courses completed at a CSWE accredited institution. A maximum of 9 credits may be transferred for graduate courses completed in disciplines related to social work.

Washington University Undergraduates


Undergraduate students currently attending Washington University may be eligible for our 3-2 program.

The 3-2 program allows Washington University undergraduates to earn an MSW in addition to their bachelor’s degree with just one additional year of study.

Ready to Apply?


To Learn More


The Office of Admissions and Recruitment is available to answer any questions regarding the requirements for admission and the application process. We also invite you to visit the School, speak with an admissions representative, meet a faculty member, tour our campus, and sit in on a class or two. To speak with someone regarding MSW admissions or to arrange a visit, you may submit a request online or call (877) 321-2426 (toll-free within the United States) or (314) 935-6676, or send an e-mail to


for questions about this web site, please contact