Tonya Edmond, interim co-dean of the Brown School, has been inducted as a Fellow of the American Academy of Social Work and Social Welfare (AASWSW) for 2023. The AASWSW is an honorific society of distinguished scholars and practitioners who are dedicated to achieving excellence in the field of social work and social welfare.
Edmond is one of 14 scholars in the AASWSW Class of 2023 inductees. She joins more than a dozen current Brown School faculty members that have already achieved this honor and many more alumni. Fellows are recognized for their distinguished accomplishments as scholars and practitioners dedicated to achieving excellence in high-impact work that advances social good.
“I am truly humbled to have been inducted as a Fellow of the Academy for Social Work and Social Welfare. It is a tremendous honor to be recognized alongside scholars and practitioners that I have long admired,” Edmond said.
She was formally inducted as an AASWSW Fellow during the January 2023 Society for Social Work and Research’s Annual Conference in Phoenix, Arizona.
Edmond’s research focuses on testing the effectiveness of interventions for survivors of childhood sexual abuse, sexual assault, sex trafficking, and intimate partner violence. In January 2022, Edmond was appointed to serve as interim dean of the Brown School in partnership with Rodrigo Reis. Edmond is co-director of the Center for Violence and Injury Prevention and a faculty affiliate for the Center for Mental Health Services Research.
In addition to Edmond, current Brown School fellows include:
- Wendy Auslander, Barbara A. Bailey Professor of Social Work
- Leopoldo J. Cabassa, Professor and Director of PhD Program in Social Work
- Brett Drake, Professor of Data Science for the Social Good in Practice
- Michal Grinstein-Weiss, Shanti K. Khinduka Distinguished Professor
- Shenyang Guo, Frank J. Bruno Distinguished Professor of Social Work Research
- Sean Joe, Benjamin E. Youngdahl Professor of Social Development and Associate Dean for Faculty and Research
- Melissa Jonson-Reid, Ralph and Muriel Pumphrey Professor of Social Work Research
- Shanti Khinduka, George Warren Brown Distinguished University Professor Emeritus
- Mary McKay, Vice Provost of Interdisciplinary Initiatives, Dean of the Brown School (2016 – 2022)
- Nancy Morrow-Howell, Betty Bofinger Brown Distinguished Professor of Social Policy
- Enola Proctor, Professor, Shanti K. Khinduka Distinguished Professor (2014-2018)
- Mark Rank, Herbert S. Hadley Professor of Social Welfare
- Margaret Sherraden, Research Professor
- Michael Sherraden, George Warren Brown Distinguished University Professor
- Fred Ssewamala, William E. Gordon Distinguished Professor and Associate Dean for Transdisciplinary Faculty Research