Three Brown School Students Named Finalists for Presidential Management Fellowship 

PhD; Social Work; Students

Three students from the Brown School have been selected as finalists for the Presidential Management Fellowship (PMF) Program, the federal government’s premier leadership development program. 

The 2024 Brown School PMF finalists are Dominique A. Horton, a doctoral candidate in social work, Alfredo R. Davila, a master’s of social work (MSW) candidate, and Joeleen C. Heman, a dual degree master’s candidate in social work and social policy. 

Heman

“While it is difficult to know exactly how the fellowship will impact my overall career, I can say with confidence that I have grown here at the Brown School,” Heman said. “I feel that these learning opportunities have better prepared me to work in complex systems while continuing to center communities. I am immensely grateful to my supervisors, professors, and peers who have shared their expertise, wisdom, and encouragement.”

The trio joins a total of 825 finalists who were selected from a pool of over 7,000 applicants worldwide. Kiran Ahuja, director of the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM), emphasized the vital role PMF Fellows play in shaping the future of government leadership. 

“The PMF Program gives Fellows the leadership skills and exposure they need to make a difference in government and an impact within their community. Congratulations to all the 2024 PMF finalists. We cannot wait to see what you will accomplish in public service.”

PMF Fellows are appointed to a two-year, full-time federal position with salary and benefits, where they apply their skills while engaging in leadership development training that includes experiential learning, cohort-based interactive training, and optional rotational experiences. Notably, the program boasts a remarkable track record, with an average of 87% of Fellows transitioning to permanent or term positions upon program completion.