MSP Field Education
Field education is an integral part of your education at The Brown School. It is designed to provide experiences where theoretical knowledge and concepts from the classroom and literature can be applied in a real-world setting. These experiences allow you to practice professional behavior—ethics, comportment, policy compliance—in preparation for continuing your career.
At the Brown School, we do not assign students to specific internships. You are responsible for selecting your own field experience. This approach allows you to build on knowledge and skills closely related to your personal career objectives. You must select internship experiences from agencies affiliated with the School. The Office of Field Education maintains updated lists of affiliated sites and an online database (Handshake) for students.
Additional MSP specific guidance for summer internships is available here.
MSP Internship Overview
- 360 hours in the social policy field, typically completed full-time in the summer following completion of MSP coursework.
- Students will develop specific competencies through their internship experience.
- Internship may be completed locally, out-of-state, or internationally.
Student Field Education Resources
- MSP Field Education Handbook
- MSP Summer Internship Roadmap and Checklist
- Key Dates and Deadlines
- Interview Guide
- MSP Grading Rubric
- Internship Search Template
- Internship Closure Form
- Incident Report Form
- Background Check for Practicum/Internship – Reach out to the Missouri State Highway Patrol to request.
- Scheduling an Advising Appointment in Handshake:
MSP Internship Forms
Student Self Evaluation and Student Assessment of the Internship Experience
MSP Self-Evaluation of Competencies and Performance
As part of your internship requirements, you must complete this self-evaluation two weeks prior to the end of your internship. Once you have submitted the self-evaluation, an email with a link to complete the final evaluation will be sent to your field instructor.
Student Assessment of Internship Experience
All students are encouraged to complete the Student Assessment of Practicum Experience (SAPE) at the conclusion of your internship experience.
Educational and Learning Agreements
International and Out-of-State Internships
Forms for International Students
Students with an international visa completing internship in the United States must complete a CPT Form or J-1 Form for every semester in internship. Please follow the directions on the form.