Pre and Postdoctoral Training
The Brown School currently supports two NIH-funded T32 training programs for PhD students enrolled in our social work program, and for scholars already holding doctorates in social work and related disciplines, who are interested in addictions and mental health research. Both programs provide tuition fellowships and stipends, specialized coursework, and mentored research training for eligible applicants.
Transdiciplinary Training in Addictions Research (TranSTAR) T32 Program
- Grant #: NIDA T32 DA 015035
- Jeremy Goldbach, Co-Director; Kathleen K. Buscholz, Co-Director
NIMH Mental Health Services Research, Center for Mental Health Services Research
- Grant #: NIMH T32, MH19960
- Leopoldo Cabassa, Director
Our trainees have been very successful in pursuing research funding through NIH and other competitive funding sources, and our alumni hold faculty positions at some of the nation’s top research institutions.
Interested applicants for predoctoral fellowship training must first apply and be accepted into the Brown School PhD Program in Social Work.
Evaluation is based upon your previously received PhD program application materials, as well as the following, which must be additionally submitted:
- A one-page statement describing your research interests in mental health services (NIMH) or addictions (NIDA) research, research skills you hope to attain, your academic career goals and how this training relates to those goals.
- In a resume-type format, please list:
- Mental health or addictions-related professional education and licensure. (This is aside from degree-earning programs.) Include all dates, month and year, of non-degree training.
- All employment after college and its mental health or addictions relevance, in chronological order.
- Prior research experience and its mental health or addictions relevance.
- All publications (full citation) and professional conference presentations.
Please email all materials to:
Stacey McCrary, MSW
Project Manager: COAST-IS, Implementation Research Institute
NIMH/NIDA T32 programs
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
NIMH Mental Health Services Research Postdoctoral Training Program
Position vacancies vary throughout the year. Submit a cover letter stating your research interests along with CV and three letters of reference to: email@example.com. Contact the T32 coordinator, Stacey McCrary, for additional eligibility requirements and position availability. The application review begins as soon as received and will continue until positions are filled.