Eleni Gaveras (she/they) is completing her Ph.D. in Social Work at the Brown School. Eleni is interested in suicide prevention among LGBTQIA+ homeless youth. Ms. Gaveras is working on her doctoral dissertation proposal, examining the intersection between housing insecurity and suicidal behavior among transgender and genderqueer young adults. She is passionate about leveraging the voices of LGBTQIA+ youth into suicide prevention research and how data can best reflect young peoples experiences and strengths in navigating challenging life circumstances to develop interventions for young people and the adults who support them.
An NIMH T32 grant and a McDonnell Academy Fellowship funded Gaveras doctoral training. Gaveras’s professional experience includes coordination for the International Organization for Migration, addressing the health of highly mobile populations in Tanzania. She has authored/co-authored articles published in Qualitative Social Work, BMJ Open, Social Science and Medicine, and PLoS One. She also is a CO-I on a pilot study of community-engaged suicide prevention research in rural Georgia.
- Program: PhD in Social Work Student
- Preferred Pronouns: she/they
Areas of Focus:
- Suicide Prevention among insecurely housed transgender and gender expansive young adults
- Mental health among homeless young adults
- Lived experience in suicide research
- Combined mental health and economic interventions