MSW/Master of Arts in Education

Students admitted to this program earn a Master of Social Work (MSW) degree from the Brown School and a Master of Arts in Education (MAEd) degree from the Department of Education in the College of Arts and Sciences. The program of study requires 84 to 96 credit units depending upon the chosen track, typically taken over the course of three years.

The MSW/MAEd program prepares graduates for careers in education, whether acting as master teachers in the classroom or working at the systems level in school districts. The social work training addresses the psychosocial issues facing children and youth as well as the systems that affect children’s readiness to learn. 

The dual degree program offers three options for earning a master’s degree in education: 

  • Elementary Teacher Certification (48 credit units): The teacher education track, culminating in Missouri certification for teaching in grades 1 through 6, focuses on classroom level/teaching excellence through course work in general education pedagogy and professional elementary education. 
  • Educational Studies (36 credit units): The educational studies track provides the larger historical, social, and political context for K – 12 education to prepare for positions in policy, advocacy, teaching, advising, and research at the classroom, school, district, state, and federal levels.
  • Higher Education (36 credit units): The higher education track is designed to provide an overview of historical and contemporary issues in higher education for social work students who wish to gain a greater understanding of higher education research, policy, assessment and/or administrative practices. 

MSW/MAEd graduates will fill a significant local and national need for professionals who can address students’ social and emotional needs as well as their academic achievement. 

Application Information

New students applying to this dual-degree program must apply to the MSW program through Washington University Graduate Admissions Portal and also submit a separate application for the MAEd program through the Arts & Sciences Graduate Department of Education.  Current Washington University graduate students currently enrolled in the MAEd program who wish to add the MSW should apply through Washington University Graduate Admissions Portal and are eligible for an application fee waiver when they submit their application.

Learn more about the MAEd program and application.

Learn more about the MSW program and application.